Saturday, May 2, 2009

Getting Seasonal

It’s tricky to choose recipes to cook when there are still so many to choose from in the book – plus, many ingredients are unknown to me, and because of a certain amount of trepidation I’ve ignored some. I have decided that the best thing to do here is to follow the seasons more closely (I try to do this as much as I can anyway). This means that anything new to me as a cook, should be in tip-top shape and therefore be much less likely to go wrong. At least that’s the theory. So, after a little bit of research on the internet, here’s a list of meat, fish, vegetables and fruits that are in season and/or at their peak in May. Not all are used in English Food, but I’ve included them for completeness. We shall see how many I can do this Maytime:

Lamb
Salmon
Sea trout
Sea bass
Crab
Beetroot
Cabbage (all kinds)
Carrots
Cauliflowers
Kale
Turnips
Samphire (I don't know where I'm going to get thhis from! Help anybody?)
Asparagus
Jersey Royal potatoes
Watercress
Radishes
Rocket
Spinach
Spring onions
Cherries
Rhubarb
Elderflowers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's exciting. let us know about the samphire....i am reading interesting elderberry flower recipes in a vintage uk book called....A Calendar of Country Receipts by Nell Heaton....wine, ointment, tisane and champagne.