Friday, February 8, 2008

Cheat's onion gravy

This is one that I do if I want nice gravy but I'm not making a roast dinner, or more often, if there's a (*sharp intake of breath!*) vegetarian. It's very easy and probably doesn't count as a recipe, but fuck it; it's my blog so I can put whatever I like in it... Sorry about that outburst there. I often do this with mushrooms aswell as or instead of onions...

You will need:
Gravy granules
Vegetable stock from any boiled veg you're having, else use boiling water
1 small onion, sliced into half rings
1 tbs sunflower, or any other flavorless, oil
spring of thyme, rosemary or other suitable herb
Pepper

What to do:
  1. Fry the onion on a medium heat in the oil along with the thyme until the onion goes dark brown - almost black - around the edges. Season with pepper - don't add salt because gravy granules are salty enough.
  2. Make the gravy with the stock, according to the instructions on the packet, or to your own liking
  3. Add the gravy to the pan and allow to simmer for around five minutes. Add more water if it's looking a bit on the thick side.
  4. Pour into a jug or gravy boat, if posh; or just pour straight onto roast dinner, if not posh.

No comments: