Wednesday, January 9, 2008

#23 French Dressing


Now I know what you're going to say; French Dressing isn't very English. Back when English Food was written, we had one type of dressing and it was this recipe. (My sister used the exact same one herself, though not from Grigson.) Now, of course we have millions, so they are definitely part of the English way of eating. And if you don't agree: tough tits it's in the book and I have to make at some point anyway.

The reason that I've made it in the middle of January is because I need to eat something fresh with actual vitamins. Christmas was too indulgent. I may have gout. So it's salads for me. I got a brilliant panini sandwich press thing for Christmas and have been having healthy sarnies and salads. Ta Ma!
Crush a clove of garlic into a bowl or a clean jar and add a quarter teaspoon of sugar, a teaspoon of French mustard, a tablespoon of wine vinegar, five tablespoons of olive oil and some salt and ground pepper. Give it a good mix or shake and you are done. I know it looks like someone's vommed in a jar, but it's very nice reallly. No, really!

#23 French Dressing 7/10. It's the one we all know and love, but there's more exciting ones out there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is more or less our favorite salad dressing, but we use a different vinegar to oil ratio, more like 1 vinegar to 2 olive oil. Instead of sugar I often use maple syrup. And always adjust everything to taste. Getting a good mustard is important and is hard over here in America. It should be a sharp, fresh mustard.