Tuesday, December 11, 2012

#363 Widgeon and Teal


Yet another game recipe – I am trying to get through as many as I canbefore the end of the game season!
Widgeon

I have already cooked mallard a couple of times and happening upon some teal in the butcher allowed me to try a new type of duck, which is a very hansome little dabbling duck (I cooked widgeon for the previous post Braised Wild Duck with Apricot Stuffing). This now just leaves snipe and ptarmigan and I’ll have eaten all the legal game species in Britain.
Teal
 

As for many of the recipes in this section, Jane provides but mere guidance. Here’s the recipe as given in English Food:

Widgeon and Teal

(see Mallard)

roast: 10-25 minutes, mark 7, 220⁰C (425⁰F)

inside: liver mashed with butter, parsley and lemon

serve with: as wild duck [I assume she means mallard here]. On fried bread put under the bird at the end of roasting

The cooking time here is rather vague because of the size difference between the two types of duck.; teal is the smallest duck in Britain and widgeon is of a middling size. I roasted the teal for 15 minutes and stuffed them only with only seasoned butter. There was a thin layer of fat covering the breasts so I merely smeared them with more softened butter. Annoyingly, I forgot to fry the bread. I made a gravy from the juices by whisking a tablespoon of flour into them along with some chicken stock added in stages and a spoonful of redcurrant jelly.

#363 Widgeon and Teal. I am getting such a taste for game these days. These little teal were great – dark-fleshed but not too gamy. There is also something very satisfying about having a whole bird sat on your dinner plate; positively medieval. 8/10

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wild teal in the states is very salty and some say fishy-- do you find the same in England. I rather like them and next time I get some, will smoke them in my stove top smoker.

Neil Buttery said...

Hi there

Ii detected no fishiness or saltiness (though I have heard that swan is very fishy tasting).

I think I may get a stove top smoker or something like that and have a good go at smoking some meat and fish (I need to as it is a recipe in the book).

Thanks for the comment!