Wednesday, July 1, 2009

July food

Probably the most exciting food month - all my favorite fruits are here in abundance. It's also my birthday this month so I expect many gifts. I accept all major credit cards.

I managed to get quite a few seasonal ingredients last month, so hopefully I will do this month - it shouldn't be too difficult as I'm spoiled for choice, plus I've got my fruit, veg and herbs growing away in my garden. Again not all of these are in the book:

Vegetables: globe artichokes, beetroot, broad beans, carrots, cauliflower, courgettes, french beans, garlic, kohlrabi, lamb's lettuce, onions, pak choi, peas, potatoes, purslane, radishes, rocket, samphire, sorrel, spinach, tomatoes and watercress.

Fruit: apricots, blackcurrants, blueberries, cherries, gooseberries, raspberries, red and whitecurrants, rhubarb, strawberries and worcesterberries (whatever they are).

Wild greens and herbs: horseradish, marsh samphire and wild fennel.

Wild flowers and fruits: elderflowers and wild strawberries (loads of these in France!).

Fungi and nuts: chanterelles, chicken of the woods, pignuts and summer truffles.

Fish and shellfish: black bream, crab (brown, hen and spider), signal crayfish, cuttlefish, pollack, scallops, sea bass, sea trout and river tout.

Game: rabbit and wood pigeon.

No comments: