Wednesday, January 19, 2011

#268 Potted Shrimps

Hugh and I invited our mates Maartin and Ninja around for some food so I thought it would be the perfect excuse to do a couple of Grigsons. Poor things. For a starter Hugh made some mackerel pate (I should get the recipe from him and put it on here) and I did these potted shrimps. I wanted to cook a recipe that I couldn’t do in America and this is one. I so far haven’t found anywhere in Texas that sells brown shrimp.
For those of you that don’t know, potted shrimps are a Lancastrian delicacy – they are going out of favour as many traditional foods are these days and, as far as I know, the only place that makes them is a small fishery in Morcambe Bay. They used to be very popular across the whole of the country after Young’s opened a shop selling them in London. The shrimps are fished and boiled on the boat before being dunked in the sea to cool off quickly. As the boat returned to land with its catch, the women and children of the town would be waiting to pot the shrimps.  If you happen upon some brown shrimps, try making them yourself because they are pretty easy to do.
For every pint of shelled shrimps you will need to melt 4 ounces of melted Danish butter along with ¼ teaspoon of powdered mace, a pinch of Cayenne pepper and a grating of nutmeg. Once melted, mix in the shrimps and let them heat through. Pack into pots and cover with clarified butter and then some foil or cling film. Allow to set. Serve spread on brown bread or toast. Piece of piss.
#268 Potted Shrimps. I loved these. The shrimps are sweet and well-flavored and the traditional spices such as mace really complimented them. It’s a shame that mace isn’t used more often these days as it goes so well with fish. 7.5/10.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum yum. These were delicious. Plus, being from that general neck of the woods (pre-border changes, before someone gets all pedantic with me), I'm all for these traditional Lancashire recipes being promoted - good work Neil. 7/10. Char x

Anonymous said...

What does brown shrimp mean? Just that they were boiled on the boat? Smaller than normal? I can't believe you can't get these in Texas! They do sound yummy!

Neil Buttery said...

Brown Shrimp are a particular species. I British lingo they're the only shrimp we call shrimp! Anything bigger than these are a prawn. Thir species name is Crangon crangon, and here's the Wikipedia entry for them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_shrimp

Maarten said...

This was simply very nice, a good 8/10.