Monday, November 2, 2009

Warm Lamb's Fry Salad

Well #200 was now upon me, so I got a few folks round to join me in scoffing it. The trouble was I couldn’t do starter from the book – otherwise that would be the big 200, and I didn’t want some little starter to be it. However, I decided that the food would have a theme: offal. All three courses would have some offal as part of it. You see, I knew that I had some lamb’s fries in the freezer that I bought a while ago from the Cheshire Smokehouse and this seemed like the perfect time to cook them. After a little internet research, I found that they weren’t that difficult to cook, it seemed that you could treat them the same as scallops. I decided on a warm salad. I just hoped they weren’t awful, and that people weren’t going to be squeamish.

It has been a while since I put one of my own recipes on here...

For six:

Heat some cooking oil in a frying pan until nice and hot. Throw in two cloves of garlic and a good pinch of chilli flakes. As soon as the garlic starts to brown, throw in seven sliced and previously seasoned lamb’s fries. Quickly stir fry them for around two or three minutes only, and then season with more salt and pepper if required plus a little sugar and a squeeze of lemon juice. Stir through some dressed spinach leaves and serve immediately. I forgot to take a picture. Oopsey!

The lamb’s fries were okay – very tender and rather bland. It was quite difficult to get excited by them. I think I’d would rather have had something bizarre and shocking, than something that was just okay. At least everyone that came can say they’ve tried them. And I can say that when I do testicles, they melt in your mouth! (F’nar!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought it was lovely! It was a nice tender meat, something like a cross between scallops and liver... but in a good way. It was a little bland, but nice as part of a salad. I'd give it 7/10!

Unknown said...

I've never had them before but would certainly have them again. They are definitely similar to scallops and are completely inoffensive and actually quite pleasant, especially with the chilli flavours in the salad - it gave them a bit of a kick. I'm sure most people would enjoy them if they could get over the idea of what they actually are. I would have liked the testicle to salad ratio to lean more in favour of the testicles. Always more testicles I say! 7/10