The recipe makes enough for four as a main I reckon. It freezes well too.
You will need:
4 tbs good olive oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 or 3 good-quality smoked bacon rashers, cut into squares
1 stick of celery cut in 1cm lengths
the peeled cloves of half a bulb of garlic
6 oz. of brown or green lentils (or a mixture of both)
1 tin of tomatoes
3 tbs chopped mint leaves
4 tbs chopped parsley leaves
2 pints light chicken stock
2 oz. pasta (any kind)
salt and pepper
What to do:
- Pour boiling water over the lentils and allow to soak for 30-45 minutes
- Meanwhile, fry the onion in the oil until soft, then add the bacon and fry for about five minutes.
- Add the celery and garlic and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the drained lentils and stir around so that the lentils soak up the oil.
- Pour in the tin of tomatoes, along with the mint and parsley. Season. Simmer until most of the tomato juices have been absorbed by the lentils.
- Add the stock and bring to a good simmer. Allow to cook for about an hour, perhaps slightly longer.
- When the lentils are served add the pasta and cook for a further 10 minutes or until the pasta is ready. Check the seasoning.